Friday, May 21, 2010

Shake it up

So, before I really knew what I wanted to write about, I blogged about the topic of relationships and social media on my personal blog.  You can read it here.  I got some really great feedback from my family and friends about the effects of technology on relationships, and what I thought was most interesting was the point they made overall about the tendency they have to be detrimental to relationships.  People compare themselves, say mean and hurtful things, stalk, and practice a whole host of negative behaviors.  So, this is bad.

Then I thought about how this compares to romantic relationships.  I don't think the same issues arise.  Like  the commenter Emily pointed out, social networking can create fidelity issues within marriage.  I think this plays really well into John Donne's poem "A Valediction: Forbidding Mourning", which I'm analyzing for this paper.  He says,


“But we by a love so much refined, 
   
That ourselves know not what it is,  

Inter-assurèd of the mind,  
   
Care less, eyes, lips and hands to miss.”

This is essentially a comment on the faithfulness Donne and his wife have, and are assured that the other has.  I think it would be interesting to analyze fidelity in the "Valediction" and in our modern society as a result of social media.  Just a thought. 

For the record, this song is going to be stuck in my head all day now.  Awesome. 

No comments: